Re: (erielack) DL&W Place names

- --- STEVEZ10_@_aol.com wrote:
> How about Denville?? Anyone know how this town got its name??
> I do know that there are many DAnville's, but there is only one
> DENVILLE in the entire world!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denville,_New_Jersey

When Dutch and English settlers began to arrive in the new world in the
early 17th century, the Minisink Trail was the likely route they traveled
to explore the interior. Daniel Denton, one of the purchasers of what is
known as the Elizabethtown Tract in 1664, led an expedition into the
interior of northern New Jersey. In 1670 he wrote the first English
language description of the area. Some researchers would later conclude
that it was Denton who lent his name to the naming of Denville.

The township's own web site contains the same paragraph.  The main
waterway through the township is the Rockaway River, but it is fed by a
stream called the Den Brook.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey