(erielack) DL&W accident in Millburn

Lynne, I have vivid memories on seeing the locomotive lying on it's side, just East of the station. I would judge the year to be 1941--42 (my father was off to the war by 'early '43)). I lived near the tracks close to Short Hills station & have clear recollections of the daily milk train to Hoboken racing quietly past  the Short Hills station about 7am in early childhood mornings ( unlike the Lackawanna Limited which shook every window in the house as it powered uphill past the station precisely at 11am). I seem to recall stories that observers thought, on the day of the accident, that the train was traveling at excess speeds in Short Hills, downgrade. I was later taken by my father to see the wreck (which would suggest a weekend) & seem to recall that the cab crew died. Don't know how many milk cars detailed, but have powerful memories of sour milk in the gutters of downtown Millburn.
Tony Marquis, Lake Oswego, OR
(tmarquis_@_pacifier.com)