(erielack) RE: DL&W HUDSON

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-01-28-06

HudsonProject10.jpg (image/jpeg, 640x466 89991 bytes, BF: 3.31 ppb)
2005_0525HudsonProject0041.jpg (image/jpeg, 640x380 65536 bytes, BF: 3.71 ppb)

Bill and List,
What a great looking model!! I enjoyed seeing it as I am working on a Hudson in N-Scale and can only hope it turns out half as nice. Although us N-Scalers can model almost the entire DL&W/E-L roster in Diesel, the unique DL&W Steam eludes us. No one has made any N-Scale brass steam for DL&W so we are left to hope or worse, cut and hack. After being fortunate to be able to purchase Scott Lupia's wonderful model of a DL&W Pocono, it became clear that I would have to build a Hudson to compliment it. Years ago, a friend gave me a Kato JNR hudson and a copy of Mainline Modeler's March 86 issue with an article by Jeremiah Segrue on the DL&W Hudson. Inspiration became motivation and after investigating all the shells available, I realized it would take a lot of hacking to even come close. I had to settle for a model that would capture the character of the engine instead of an exact replica. Good thing it's small! I was able to make a few test runs on our club layout recently and it worked well.  I still need to finish the detailing and the paint but I think it's close to capturing the "flavor".
Thanks again for sharing your beautiful Model with us, the photos help in the placement of some of the details. Now if PMD would consider some 1/160th silver decals ;-)