(erielack) ELDCPS - NKP CITY OF LIMA

To all Listers:

I am pleased to report that Midwest Locomotive has completed the exterior paint work on ELDCPS owned former NKP 10 Roomette-6 Double Bedroom Pullman CITY OF LIMA. Midwest has done an outstanding job painting the car in NKP Dark Blue and Silver. As per NKP practice, the trucks are Blue with the underbody in black. We will add the shadow lining once the car is at Scranton, and this will replicate the stainless steel which was once attached to the car. Stainless steel over carbon steel side sheets was not one of Pullman-Standards better ideas, as this caused major corrosion in the side sheets of the cars so equipped.

Midwest reports that two more weeks will be required for color sanding, reinstall grab irons, and a COTS. We will then ship the car to Illinois Transit at St. Louis for carpeting, upholstery, and a few other minor details. IT estimates about 30 to 60 days to complete this work. IT will install a correct Pullman-Standard "Fir" pattern carpet in the car.

NKP 211 will then be shipped to Scranton, and will be the first car placed in service for ELDCPS's "LAKE CITIES" Project. Restoration work on heavyweight Erie Lackawanna Diner-Lounge 741 is progressing nicely, and please look for updates in the next issue of our Societies publication, The Diner Digest. Next year, Erie Lackawanna Equipment Leasing will have Midwest complete either EL Coach 1318 or 6-6-4 Pullman AMERICAN WAY II.

ELDCPS would like to thank the Board and members of the Nickel Plate Road Historical & Technical Society for their donations and assistance. Especially for their great work in locating the original paint diagrams, and furnishing Midwest the correct lettering fonts. We clearly intend to work closely with NKPH&TS on other joint projects! Stay tuned!

No need to remind everyone, but restoration work is expensive, and we would like to thank all of our members and supporters for their donations and purchases. ELDCPS's "mission and vision" is to recreate the though-line passenger experience on Erie Lackawanna, and we are clearly on our way to accomplishing that goal. We have no doubt, that a restored EL passenger train will once again operate over the "Friendly Service Route".

On a side note, RonRail's new DVD, "Our Memories of THE ERIE LACKAWANNA" featuring 8MM movies by Frank Mentone and Bob Underwood is now available from ELDCPS. The film features great video of early EL through-line passenger service 1960-1963, plus Frank's film of the last months of THE PHOEBE SNOW. I might add that I was with Frank many times while he was taking these movies. Many of the trains feature NKP through coaches and Pullmans. For the Sussex Branch folks, the scenes along this rural NJ Branch line are excellent! Visit the ELDCPS store today and order this great DVD!

I have been very busy working on Volume 2, plus operating UP freight trains. I will be attending the Cleveland Convention, and hope to see many of you there.

Kind regards,

John Boehner, VP-Operations
ELDCPS