RE: Re:Re: (erielack) Feedwater heaters

Google gives us
 http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1238302
and
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=75426
Scroll down to this comment from "Lew:"

"The large pipe coming from the superheater to the pump is the supply
pipe. On the other side ,or the engineers side, is the steam pipe from the cylinders to heat the
water. You will notice a smaller pipe coming from the top of the pump, this goes to the boiler check
valve on top of the boiler. The water from the pump is at around 200 degrees as it enters the
boiler.
This takes care of the final phase
but how does the water get to the
superheater? Fitz has a picture of the cab and below the cab you will
notice a pump. This is the cold water pump or the pump that supplies the
superheater with water from the tender. When the fireman opens the
control valve in the cab the hot water pump starts first opening the steam valve to the superheater
and allowing more cold water to come in
to be heated as the pump supplies the boiler, the fireman controlling
the amount of water he needs for the operation.
There is a drifting valve that only allows the pump to operate at half speed when the engineer is
operating
in a drifting mode. There are also
check valves that will prevent pulling water into the cylinders if
the throttle is closed suddenly. This is a type SA pump. LEW

There's more here, and more detail:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1002113,nodelay=1
And I see you can look at the traincams (on the left) for free again, which wasn't the case a year
or so ago.

This'll tell you about Worthingtons:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1002503,nodelay=1

This shows you how the Coffin type could be styled into the smokebox:
http://www.brasslocomotive.com/images/trains/CH-2531.1.jpg
And here's another one:
http://www.answers.com/topic/milw-f6-jpg

But here's one hangin' out in front of everything:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bm/bm-s4000.jpg
At first I thought these Ugleeee, but after you are around them for a while, they're kinda cool.  Or
hot, I suppose. But here you can see some more of the piping you learned about in the previous
links.  You DID look at them, didn't you?

SGL