(erielack) Advisory Mechanical Committee

To Philip Martin,

What was the Advisory Mechanical Committee? The answer to this can be found
in many sources. Books that have to do with the Erie, Nickel Plate Road,
Chesapeake & Ohio, and the Pere Marquette have bits and pieces of information on the
AMC. Try " The Nickel Plate Story" , "The Van Sweringen Berkshires", "The
Allegheny, Lima's Finest", "Chessie's Road", "C&O Power", and "Erie Power".

This all has to do with the Van Sweringen brothers of Cleveland, Ohio. They
were real estate developers and had developed a suburb of Cleveland called
Shaker Heights. They wanted to put in a rapid transit system to connect Shaker
Heights to downtown Cleveland. These guys were not railroaders.

At that time the NKP was a part of the the New York Central and I think that
the government forced the NYC to divest itself of the NKP.  The "Vans" bought
the NKP to obtain a right of way into Cleveland. I think this was about 1916.

After aquiring the NKP, the Vans also aquired the Erie RR, the C&O, and the
PM. After the purchase of these railroads, the Vans decided to form the
Advisory Mechanical Committee to pool each road's engineering talent, and use common
designs for the purpose of cutting costs and standardizing parts for the four
roads.

From what I have heard, the AMC was headquartered in Cleveland, and had
offices in the Terminal Tower downtown. I think this is where their design work was
done. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. The Van Sweringens also built
Cleveland Union Terminal and the Terminal Tower.

Among things that the AMC did was to design rolling stock and locomotives for
the participating railroads.  A couple of the top designers (mechanical
engineers), came from the Erie RR. I believe one of them was William Black.

Several famous locomotives were designed by these guys. The first of these
was the Erie's 3300 series Berkshires. As I go on you will see the influence of
the AMC on the member RR's.

In the late '20's the C&O needed a new locomotive for coal service and they
borrowed Erie Berk # 3377? for testing on coal trains. In 1930 they produced
the C&O class T-1 2-10-4's by expanding the Erie Berk into a Texas type. If you
look at it, the T-1 kinda looks like an Erie S class engine. And look at the
class designation. The Erie engine was the "S" class and the C&O was the "T"
class. Right in sequence ! The T-1 was a smashing success in the service for
which it was designed , just like the Erie 3300's. These engines replaced
2-8-8-2's in coal train service AND were fast enough to be used for time freights in
hilly country, when needed. They normally handled 160 car, 13,500 ton, coal
trains between Russell, KY. and Toledo, Oh. During WWII  on these engines were
copied by the Pennsylvania RR and were of the J-1 class.

Later on the NKP needed a new locomotive to speed up it's time freights on
it's water level, single track, mainline. The AMC went back to work. They took
70% of the dimensions of the C&O class T-1's and came up with the now famous
NKP class S Berkshires. These engines were a bit smaller than the Erie's 3300's
but had more effficient boilers. They had a tractive effort that was the same
as the road's H-6 Class Mikados with the boosters cut in. The H-6's were
replaced by the Berks in high speed service. The first of the class was built in
1934.

The NKP Berks were designed to handle a 4,000 ton freight train (about 80
cars) at 70 mph. on level track. This is something they did every day. Many were
also equipped for passenger service. In the transition to diesels you'll
notice that the NKP never owned and F units. That's because the NKP 700's were
equal to an A-B-A set of EMD F-3's in fast freight service. To get better
performance, they would have had to add a fourth unit to the consist, and that would
have resulted in higher initial costs, AND higher operating costs.

About the same time the Pere Marquette needed a more modern locomotive  to
handle it's business. The AMC came up with the N class Berkshires that were
based on the NKP class S, except these engines had cylinders with a 26" bore
instead of the NKP's 25" bore. If you look at locomotive pictures, the PM  N class
was a dead ringer for a NKP class S.

In the 1930's the Vans both died but, somehow the AMC survived the break-up
of the Vans RR empire.

In the 1940's the C&O needed a new design for their time freights and the AMC
updated the PM class N to the C&O's class K-4 Kanawha. These were dual
service engines.

The AMC also designed the C&O's H-8 class 2-6-6-6 Alleghenies. The first ten
that came from Lima in 1941 were the heaviest reciprocating steam locomotives
ever built. Not only that but, they also had the highest drawbar horsepower
ever recorded with a dynamometer car, at 7,498 DBHP at 46 mph., on a 14, 075 ton
train. This happened in 1943. This information came from the book, The
Allegheny, Lima's Finest.

AMC influence can also be found in the C&O's Hudsons and Greebriars. The
Hudsons were designed to handle a 15 car passenger train at 90 mph. The Greebriars
were designed for passenger service on the C&O's Mountain Subdivision. If you
had a chance to see C&O      4-8-4  # 614 on those trains from Hoboken to
Port jervis, you really got a fine show.

After doing some personal research, I found that there are also an awful lot
of similarities between the boilers of the Erie's 3300's and the C&O's
4-8-4's. They're so similar that it's scary.

In addition to this, they also designed other equipment.

Well, I hope this helps in your search for information on the AMC.

Rick Fleischer
Cortland, OH.