  Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:38:23 -0400
From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>
Subject: (erielack) A study of two ex-D&H SD45s

This is a great shot (pardon the blurriness of the fast-moving train!)

http://dukarm.railfan.net/p.cgi?EL_802+803_c70_ew_nd.jpg

It's a back-to-back set of former D&H SD45s (802 and 803), and based on
details, this was taken very shortly after they arrived.

It offers lots of neat details:

* The trailing 803 still has its original numberboards with the leading
"3" blacked out (originally the units were to be 3801-3803, but they
retained their D&H numbers - tax purposes maybe?). The 3803 was the only
one to get the four-digit numberboards, but they were modified before
it went out on the road.

* Gray roofs on both units (look at the fan housings on top)

* High-profile details on both units (tall fan housings, and horns
centered right above the headlight) - did this limit these three units in
their service area?

* Maroon stripe too low on the 802 (compare it to the trailing 803 -
you can see the difference in the amount of "gray space" between the
stripe and the cab windows) - and this is very noticeable when during
shopping, the traction motor blower housing (the bump behind the cab on the
fireman's side) was swapped with another D&H unit, resulting in
misaligned stripes on both units)

* The nose-mounted ratcheting brake handle is very obvious (EL's SD45s
had the round brakewheel on the back of the engineer's side of the
carbody)

* Snow plows! (not on EL SD45s)

Groups are talking. We&acute;re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.