RE: (erielack) RE: A study of two ex-D&H SD45's

After the SD-45's were returned to D&H didn't all three units end up in Mexico in 1978? Any evidence if any survived South of the Border?

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:  > A few other details....

> * ERIE LACKAWANNA shifted waaaay too far to the left on the 802!
> (Did the D&H paint these units prior to delivery?)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that one, too!

From what I understand, the units were painted by EL upon arrival, but I could be wrong here.

> Since they were former EMD demonstrators what unit was the
> 1st SD-45 ever produced? Was it the former Great Northern
> "Hustle Hustle" unit? And where is that locomotive today?

Not sure what the first SD45 was, but the GN 400 is in a museum in Minnesota today.

> Last photo I recall is the EMD anniversary party at LaGrange
> many years ago.When all is said and done I wonder how many
> SD-45's ultimately will survive, I know of two that are
> preserved, one being the EL 3607 in St. Louis.

There are still many SD45s in everyday service (many remotored with 16-cylinder prime movers), so you will have to wait a few more years... :)

- - Paul