Re: (erielack) Dispatcher Line

You are correct, JY was for Jersey City.  The NYS&W also used JY.  I used a lineside phone once at North Hawthorn (in the 60's) and that was how the dispatcher answered.

  The West End Job and the Main Line Job used JY.  The Boonton line side and the M&E after about 1967-68 just had an open line and you just called in your station.  IE Murray Hill, Dover, Denville Etc.  Prior to that all dispatcher jobs had the ringers to call up an open office to give train orders etc.  A different code number selection was used for each office,station, tower.

  Rich Pennisi

dawest1701_@_aol.com wrote:
  I remember sitting in Fair Lawn station track office listening to the block line. The West End dispatcher's line was piped into the office. If we wanted to talk to the dispatcher we'd pick up the phone, push the button, and say, "JY Fair Lawn".

I have always assumed that "JY" was the Morse code symbol for the West End dispatcher from the Erie days. I also assumed that the dispatchers desk was at the Erie station at Jersey City (hence the "JY"). Are any of my assumptions valid?

As an aside when I went over to the CNJ side to do some high railing I asked about contacting the dispatcher on the block line. I was told, "Just pick up the phone and say, 'Hello, Dispatcher'". For some reason that always struck me as funny.

DAW