Re: (erielack) NYO&W

In a message dated 8/7/06 11:59:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mjconnor_rr_@_hotmail.com writes:

Five years ago, a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Minisink Valley  Express"
by Gerald M. Best (Golden West Books, San Francisco, CA). He found it  at a
flea market.

It's the story of the Port Jervis & Monticello and is a good read  with much
O&W content, including photographs.

Rick

As  originally built, as the Port Jervis & Monticello RR, IIRC, the line was
an Erie feeder.  Believe it may have been built to a 6-foot  gauge.  Later as
the MJ, M & Summitville it connected with the  reorganized NYO&W and fell
under their control.
The one time I recall seeing the O&W at work was c. Fall 1956 in  late
twilight seeing a NW-2 switching in Port Jervis.
M J  Connor

>From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"  <paultup_@_lucent.com>
>To: "'Philip Martin'"  <martinpl3_@_earthlink.net>, erielack@lists.elhts.org
>Subject: RE:  (erielack) NYO&W
>Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:28:45  -0400
>
> > I just read an article about the O&W in the  current Classic
> > Trains.   I was surprised to read that  they had a branch to
> > Port Jervis;  I thought the Erie was  the only road in that
> > town.
>
>The O&W branch to  Port Jervis was pretty minor. It came in from the north
>and swung  alongside the Erie east of the station. It primarily served a few

>local businesses.
>
>    -  Paul

    The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List