Re: (erielack) Disp Line

In a message dated 8/8/2006 10:06:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
erielack1_@_yahoo.com writes:

SMT will  have to tell us about the west end

Youngstown Dispatchers were known as "DY" for the former Mahoning Division
and "DX" as the former Allegany-Meadville Division.  There were four DS on  1st
trick---Hornell to Salamanca, Salamanca to Meadville, Meadville to Kent and
Cleveland to Pymatuning.  2nd and 3rd trick and weekends were doubled up
except the former Mahoning Divn was separate on Sat 1st.

You simply said "DY, SN"  or "DX, NE" and the Dispatcher acknowledged  or
responded.  The phones were open wires----  Allegany Sub was  619 wire, Meaville
Sub was 604 wire, 2nd Dist was 610 wire and 1st Dist was 628  wire.  Each
dispatcher had a ringer system that he pushed buttons to key  'ring' a location. I
THINK Deforest Jct in Warren was 6-6-A on 628 wire and SN  Jct was 7-4-A on
either 610 or 628 wire, etc.  This ringer system also  allowed the DS to "knock
off" automatic OS'ers at Mantua, and other  places.  (Cal Banse---More on
this please........)  I THINK, but am  not certain, that the DS could also "set"
Telephone Train Order signals at some  locations at one time
(Cal---again......) using this ringer system.

Humor Dept..........One young brakeman was told to go to the phone at North
Warren and ask permission for the Leavittsburg Yard Crew to come out in the
vicinity of MK Siding.  The brakeman said he did not know how to ask  for
permission.  The old time conductor said "Just say "DY" and tell him  who you are."
 The conductor MEANT that the brakeman would say "DY, this is  the
Leavittsburg Yard Crew at MK, we want to come out and go to Leavittsburg"  but he did
not go into that detail.  The young brakeman, W S "Bill" Duda  came to the phone
and said "DY,DUDA", and to this day, 30 plus years later, Bill  is STILL
known as "DY Duda."

SMT