(erielack) Clearances (was: A study of two ex-D&H SD45s)

For what it's worth, I have a photo of a PC C424 (#2457) leading a freight off the Maybrook line; I don't know if it's ex-NH but the horn is mounted on the front of the unit as it was with some EL Centuries; you can't get any lower than that. Actually while PC Alcos had variable mountings, all the six-axle Centuries had low-mounted horns for some reason. Another possibility is that clearances are not necessarily static dimensions. We can safely assume that NH trackage was undermaintained, and over the years the ballast would perhaps sink sufficiently to increase the vertical clearance; it would take just a few inches to clear a conventional horn mounting. PC may have measured and subsequently revised clearances, information that was not necessarily shared with EL (especially considering that they were trying to kill off the despised Maybrook gateway). That still may not explain the low mounting on the Dash-2; does anyone know when EL units stopped running through to Cedar Hill? As Paul said, we could speculate endlessly on this topic but the only way to resolve it would be with the "official" explanation from an ex-employee.

Paul B

I wish I had time to dig today, but IIRC in one of my
EL books there were units that had their horns lowered
because there was a height restriction on the New
Haven. Where they would be running through. Although
nobody noticed that the horns were in the standard
place on the NH units.

I want to say it's in Erie Lackawanna East by Karl
Zimmerman.

Mike Spinelli
on the West End