Re: (erielack) 2602 and steam 101.

Philip,

Generally in common vernacular...yes. There were other types of
compounds such as the Vauclain Compound. A Mallet really relates to an
articulated compound with high and low pressure cylinders on separate
engines powered by a common boiler. The rear engine is rigidly attached
(we'll disregard the effects of thermal expansion and contraction) to
the boiler while the front engine is free to pivot by means of slide
plates and various other ingenious means. The engines are connected to
each other through an articulated joint.

Regards,

Will Shultz