Re: (erielack) O&W Discussion Group Abandoned RRs in Scranton Area

I thnk earlier you hinted at a very important difference between then and now: the "dead hand" of regulation created an artificial environment which muted the effects of economics. Currently, 200 intermodal terminals appears to fit the demand. The terminal network has long been rationalized, compared to say 1971 when there were 1500 terminals (ie seven times as many for one seventh the traffic). I don't think the rail infrastructure was particularly overbuilt in developed areas like Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the early decades of the 20th century when almost every factory, warehouse and coal dealer had a siding. If O&W was liquidated in 1920, I imagine most of it's trackage in the Scranton area would have survived under a different flag. The problem was the redundant intercity routes through the boondocks, maintained by the regulated environment for decades after they should have been rationalized. There were too many routes competing for the finite amount of profitable line-haul traffic.

Paul B
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fred Stratton
  To: doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net ; erielack@lists.elhts.org
  Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:38 AM
  Subject: RE: (erielack) O&W Discussion Group Abandoned RRs in Scranton Area

  My point exactly Paul. If the worse case did happen, many might think 40 years from now that we were saturated with too many intermodal facilities, much like the uselessness of the Old & Weary. But at it's time it was what was felt to be necessary at the time. One point however ablout this line of thought is the same as "who moved the cheese". Will thr RR's today adapt for the needs as situations change? We would have hoped the EL would have and I guess in part it did, but as the NE rail scene crumbled, it didn't have time to change. It did however for a time provide the most reliable piggyback service from NY to Chicago. JUst my two cents worth.

  Fred Stratton

  MP. 7.2 NS Asheville line

  Salisbury, NC