RE: (erielack) Re: radio equipped

   Funny you should mention that, Len..........One thing that always struck
me as funny was how the oldheads would disdain the "newfangled' radios and
the operators would not use the fone. I worked the 'over the river' job out
of Conklin yard. It went up the former DL&W line to Vestal & back working
the industries in Johnson City & Vestal. The old crew would NOT use the
radio. If called, they would not answer & God forbid that they should call
anyone. It was hand-signals all the way. It was a good education for me in
the use of hand sign. They were also right that the RRs would use radio to
get rid of jobs.
    As for the phone VS telegraph, many times I sat in the West Pittston
station in the operators baywindow seat cranking the old magnetophone. The
operator/agent would come over & say "here, kid, watch this."  Click, click,
dash, click.....then on the phone, "Hello, Hello, Scranton operator.". I'd
say, "Please ring the Binghamton crew dispatcher." A few more clicks and
buzzes and then the ringing in the office upstairs in the DL&W station."Crew
Dispatcher"
    The moral here is - the use of the key showed that you were a serious
railroader and NOT a newhire like myself that didn't know the technology
that streched back in an unbroken chain to the dark days of the Rebellion
when bad news came over the wires from the Chickahominy River in Northern
Virginia.

Regards to all,

Walter E. Smith