Re: (erielack) Railroads "That Should Never..." A&GW

The crux of the problem is speed...until the trains can be significantly
sped up, the parallel roadways (or airlines) will always be the faster way.
Let's not forget that even before Route 80 was completed in the early 1970s
that Martz buses were competitive timewise with the EL's schedule...and
they had to use Rts. 611 and 46  This is a chronic problem around the
US--with a few notable exceptions (e.g. the NEC)--that trains are often
running on schedules that are no better than what was in effect in 1930 (or
1920).  No wonder people use their cars instead.

             "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com
             Sent by:                  EL List
             erielack-owner_@_li         <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
             sts.elhts.org                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/17/2006 09:24          Re: (erielack) Railroads "That
             AM                        Should Never..." A&GW

             Please respond to
              "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com

I also doubt very much that they make the schedule...

I take 90 minutes from my house in Rockaway to Scranton, 90 miles.
I'm at exit 37 on I-80, so it's another 40 minutes to the PABT.  That
makes 130 minutes, or 2 hours, 10 minutes.

135 miles cannot be driven in 140 minutes at legal speeds; much of
the route is posted 55 mph.

- --- Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/16/06 12:41:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> martinpl3_@_earthlink.net writes:

> One in particular is the Scranton-New York run, departing daily
> from Scranton at 12.30pm, arriving in Manhattan at 2.10pm, with no
> Pocono or NJ  stops. No train is going to beat that running time
> and the cost round trip is $73.50 for a 135-mile trip,

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey