From: Charles_Walsh_@_berlex.com [mailto:Charles_Walsh@berlex.com]
Sent: Thursday, 17 August 2006 20:02
To: Martin Ibbotson
Cc: erielack_@_lists.Railfan.net; erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org
Subject: RE: (erielack) Railroads "That Should Never..." A&GW

Martin,

Did you say $43 per gallon??  I guess that would be about right as it was
getting to 10 Euro/liter.  Well, I guess if you raise the price of petrol
high enough, the people will flock to the trains...if they exist.  The
problem herein the US is that they don't exist, for the most part, and gas
is "only" $3/gallon ($0.75/liter).

Chuck

             "Martin Ibbotson"
             <martin.ibbotson@
             ntlworld.com>                                              To
             Sent by:                  <erielack_@_lists.Railfan.net>
             erielack-owner_@_li                                          cc
             sts.elhts.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (erielack) Railroads "That
             08/17/2006 02:45          Should Never..." A&GW
             PM

             Please respond to
             "Martin Ibbotson"
             <martin.ibbotson@
               ntlworld.com>

Let me first say that from one on the other side of the pond......(in the
UK)who has a growing interest in EL and trying to learn more.... I've been
enjoying all the correspondence I've been reading. Thanks very much!

I've not been able to make any contribution to the discussions, but I was
interested in this thread and some of the figures being quoted. As a
comparison with the UK, people are moving away from cars and onto the rail.
In fact most (if not all) trains are overcrowded and the reason is a
combination of price and time.

I usually use the train to travel from Manchester to London (220 miles) or
sometimes Wakefield to London (200 miles). Why? - to travel by road will
take me 4hrs 45mins at a cost of (wait for it..) $43per gallon (at approx
48mpg). To travel by train will take 2hr 30mins and cost between $35 and
$350 approx (depending on when you travel and how much in advance you
purchase the ticket).

Trains are clean and comfortable and usually every 30 mins through the day.

It strikes me that in the US people only take local commuter journeys by
train with rail mainly being used for freight haulage. It's a lot different
in the UK where the emphasis is on passenger trains. Some of you older
birds
may know that in the late 60's there were swingeing cuts in the UK rail
infrastructure and the car ruled with a growth in freeways. Now the
enconomies have shifted back to rail and investment in rail infrastructure
is increasing - some railroads and stations have been re-opened and new
ones
built and most of the lines have seen an increase in traffic.

So should parts of our railroads have been built? Yes, if the economics
warranted it. Believe me, when the oil price in the US increases by a
factor
of 10 - everyone will be clamouring for the railroads. Until then, they'll
be the poor relation.

Have fun!!

Martin