(erielack) New Intermodal Models

I'd like to bring everyone up do date on some recent intermodal announcements in HO scale; I'm sure many of the modelers in the group are already aware.

A couple of new trailers from Athearn. The first-ever 40' exterior-post trailer in HO appears to be the Fruehauf Z-van, a very common prototype in the later EL years http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/081506/40_exPost_trlr_081506.jpg EL's last trailer order was a large one for 500 of these in 1973-74. There are two 2-packs for EL giving you 4 different numbers. Some of the other roadnames offered were frequently seen on EL trains including B&M, PC and ATSF. The other trailer offering comes with a generic 50' fishbelly flat (EL's former Erie flats converted to TOFC service were 53'6"). http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/081506/50_flat_40_trlr_081506.jpg
The trailer itself is the traditional smooth-side 40-footer (they began producing the kit version almost 40 years ago!) but the EL version is the uncommon chassis-mount reefer trailer with black billboard lettering, used by EL primarily in meat service. Two numbers available, and it might be released as a trailer two-pack in future.

Looking now at flatcars, Athearn previously announced the r-t-r "flush-deck" car. This is their traditional flat presumably upgraded in the same manner as the 85' TOFC flat released last year, which represents a major improvement. The chief shortcoming (pun intended) is that they're too short: 85' instead of 89'4" like the prototype. Athearn did this so it could share the frame parts with the similar TOFC flat (saves tooling expense). Frankly the difference isn't very noticable, and there may be a marginal improvement in operation on curves. Assuming they haven't been corrected on the upgraded version, the other problems are minor: some of the diagonal frame struts are absent but can easily be added (contact me for info if interested), and the brake lever is on the wrong side of the car (at least it was on the original kit version).

Walthers has announced this car in their Gold Line series; presumably it will be the correct length.
This same car may still be available as the Accurail model. I think you can order undec kits direct from Accurail; decorated kits have also been released recently by Digital Fox, but I believe they're sold out.

Finally, a side note: the Flexivan flat/container (one of my favorite non-EL prototypes) was announced last year by Walthers, but several months ago was withdrawn. I'm getting conflicting info on this, one source says the project was cancelled due to lack of interest, while Walthers itself told me it was deferred due to difficulty obtaining prototype data.

Paul B