Re: (erielack) Re: commuter railroads

Mr. GG1 says:   reactivating the CUtoff as a cummuter railway could take
1/3 of the traffic from Route 80, and if they ran fast freights at night,
the roads would be safer, less pollution, and we'd have a more effective
use of resources.
We have a rail line along I-80 right now, as far west as Hackettstown; and
I don't think it's getting much traffic off it.  Of course, if Transit
advertised, instead of keeping our line secret, it might be a different
story.  This topic goes back years.  Could Transit handle 1/3 of I-80's
traffic on top of what its got now?  Ever been in Penn Station during a
disruption?  You're a sardine.  Maybe with the planned Daniel Patrick
Moynehan Station they'll be able to do it.  (You'll be able to get a train
from Moynehan to Lautenberg in a few years.)
As for running freight at night, how are you going to get shippers to
switch to rail?
They do plan to extend the light rail into Bergen County, along former
commuter lines.
Philip Martin