(erielack) Automotive Traffic (was El Erie 50' double door boxcars)

"Auto-piggyback" was a brief and more or less intermediate phase (1958-early 60's) in the shift from highway rig to autorack. The latter's capacity made it economic to do an additional load/unload cycle. I recall seeing a loaded auto rig on TV-79 in 1983, but never after that. For a period in the late 80's-early 90's, BN was handling imported Hondas or Toyotas in conventional 48' containers fitted with a special rack, but I don't think any autos are being handled this way today.

Paul B

From: "Todd Stearns" <toddsyr_@_twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: (erielack) El Erie 50' double door boxcars

Mike, much thanks for a very interesting and informative post on this topic.
Sounds like the D&H was really on the ball! Cheaper, faster, alot less
damage. Nothing tops that for rail service. I wonder though, did the Erie
follow through with it's plans to recapture some of the market? I'm guessing
yes, since I have an N scale autorack lettered for EL, lol. I can't remember
where, but I've even seen semi-trailers ( car carriers ) loaded on piggyback
flats with loads of shiny new autos. Todd