Re: (erielack) The Station Agent

- --- Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote:
> Got home very late after a very nice evening of good NYC jazz. I
> turned on the TV to find this move in midstream on the Independent
> Film Channel (IFC).
>
> I don't know if you have this channel but the movie, "The Station
> Agent" was on and I watched. It's basically about three people
> going through their lives but they all revolve around a depot,
> which looks like it's in northwest NJ.

Yes, a very good movie.

> Bottom line is that everything seems to come back to the railroad
> and the abandoned depot that looks very much DL&W.

Newfoundland, on the Susquehanna.  I think you've been there!

> If anyone knows more about this movie, if it was filmed in
> northwest NJ, I'd sure appreciate you sharing what you know.

It was filmed largely on the Susquehanna and in Rockaway Borough and
Rockaway Township, with one scene in Dover.  I know most of the
locations and am willing to give a guided tour!

> It's one of those movies that apparently "never made it to
> mainstream" but the railroad content is very good. I enjoyed the
> scenes where they walk the tracks, especially the scene where
> they're on the one track and you can see that it was once double
> tracked.  Very good shots of what Erie Lackawanna was in northwest

> NJ if it was filmed there.

It had a theatrical run a few years ago and is available on DVD.

http://www.thestationagent.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/station_agent/

Most of the railroad is the Susquehanna in the Newfoundland area.
The opening scenes are Hoboken, of course, and the big double-track
bridge is the on the DLW 'old main' over the Delaware River near
Delaware, NJ.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey