Re: (erielack) "Rider" cars

In a message dated 8/29/2006 1:22:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
paultup_@_lucent.com writes:

The  riders were crew members returning to their base location? Why not just
ride  in a caboose or in the motive power? (I've seen lots of video of EL
trains  with many crew members riding trailing units, perhaps they switched to
this?)

PAUL and List

The EL used the Rider Cars on Trains 3 and 4, after the passenger
accommodations were removed from trains 7 (9 on Sunday) and 8.

If I remember, there was a partition in the center of the Stillwell, seats
in one end and company mail and supplies in the other end.  A coal or oil
stove heated the seat portion.  If Marion needed a fuel pump and Hornell  had one,
it went in the Rider Car.

Crews were deadheaded on these trains when required.  To add a caboose
(which were always in short supply) for the purpose of deadheading a crew from
Meadville to Kent or Marion was prohibitive on the schedule.  It required a  yard
crew, air test, etc.

For the most part, crews were deadheaded by taxi except when weather or
other conditions dictated.  We usually didn't stop NY-98 at Kent to pick up
deadheads but I'm not saying it was never done, as I am certain that it did  happen
on occasion.

SMT