(erielack) [passconsist] cars used as dormitory

Okay, I'm a believer now. Inow recall the "old heads" on CN talking about straddling tables with boards. Obviously this was pre-OSHA; I wonder how many men rolled off and diclocated a shoulder? In the 1970's we had a nice, comfy dorm car to sleep in; I guess we had a good union (on occasion they were good for something). The C&C (Customer & Catering) crews ran through, Toronto to Winnipeg, through several train crew districts. At the Peg, another dining/sleeping/club car crew took over to Vancouver. In 1977 the schedule of the Super Continental was changed so we spent two nights on the road each way instead of one, which made for a tiring trip. There wasn't much sleep time between 3 or 4 dinner sittings and cleanup which extended late into the evening, and preparing for early breakfast. The DC steward was authorized to purchase emergency supplies along the way (the car was restocked in Winnipeg). I recall a westbound trip that was held, then turned back at Sioux Lookout account freight derailment ahead. We had to backtrack almost to Thunder Bay to access CP for the detour. Since this was going to put us into the Peg almost a day late (with a full train), the steward had to hightail it into SL for supplies to cover the additional meals. I don't know what he found there but I'm sure it was no Harris Teeter (upscale southeast supermarket chain). The bonus for me was seeing several CP freights, so I wasn't complaining. Thanks for indulging my OT post reminiscing over several enjoyable summers.

Paul B