Re: (erielack) The Station Agent

In a message dated 8/27/06 3:57:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gkazin_@_yahoo.com writes:

Gary, Mike and all,

Thanks very much for the details on the movie. Yes, I know that part of NJ,
not extremely well, but do know it.

Yup, biased here as I'm a rail fan, but I really liked how the railroad was
the focal point of the movie. They did a good job of blending the lives of
people with the railroad.

I caught the movie in stream and missed the beginning showing Hoboken,  etc.

One question about the passenger car that the girl called home. Is it a  DL&W
car?

Rick

- ---  Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote:
> Got home very late after a very nice evening  of good NYC jazz. I
> turned on the TV to find this move in midstream on  the Independent
> Film Channel (IFC).
>
> I don't know if  you have this channel but the movie, "The Station
> Agent" was on and I  watched. It's basically about three people
> going through their lives  but they all revolve around a depot,
> which looks like it's in  northwest NJ.

Yes, a very good movie.

> Bottom line is that  everything seems to come back to the railroad
> and the abandoned depot  that looks very much DL&W.

Newfoundland, on the Susquehanna.   I think you've been there!

> If anyone knows more about this movie,  if it was filmed in
> northwest NJ, I'd sure appreciate you sharing what  you know.

It was filmed largely on the Susquehanna and in Rockaway  Borough and
Rockaway Township, with one scene in Dover.  I know most  of the
locations and am willing to give a guided tour!

> It's one  of those movies that apparently "never made it to
> mainstream" but the  railroad content is very good. I enjoyed the
> scenes where they walk  the tracks, especially the scene where
> they're on the one track and  you can see that it was once double
> tracked.  Very good shots of  what Erie Lackawanna was in northwest

> NJ if it was filmed  there.

It had a theatrical run a few years ago and is available on  DVD.

http://www.thestationagent.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/station_agent/

Most  of the railroad is the Susquehanna in the Newfoundland area.
The opening  scenes are Hoboken, of course, and the big double-track
bridge is the on  the DLW 'old main' over the Delaware River near
Delaware, NJ.

Gary  R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New  Jersey