RE: (erielack) West Boonton Yard... then and now

> The "then" photo shows a variety of tank cars for Drew
> Chemical, including at least one older expansion dome tanker
> which were becoming rare by the mid-1970's. Which cars were
> the "water bottles"?
>
> Paul B

During this era, they used smaller (10K gallon, I think?) cars for water
bottle service. They were usually past their prime for revenue service,
so they got stuck in this service. And they were all friction bearing -
after the major wreck at Towaco, NJ (reportedly caused by one of the
water bottles and a hotbox), they got rid of the smaller cars and
replaced them with used (and much larger) tank cars.

I have some photos of both old and new cars that I'll post up when I get
a chance.