Re: (erielack) EL GEs vs EMD/ALCOs

I seem to recall a discussion about this topic a couple of years ago and
the concensus was that GE wanted buyers to purchase a new locomotive
once the initial useful life was expended.  In order to accomplish this,
replacement parts were not made or stocked.  ALCO and EMD, however,
looked at the rebuilding market as a profitable income stream.

Now today, it is rare to see any older GE locomotives running/in
service, compared to all of the "ancient" ALCOs and elderly EMDs still
up and running.

Henry

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:24:59 EDT, KSmollin_@_aol.com said:
> I know that there are several ex EL EMDs around and ALCOs..but not so
> many
> GE units. Were GEs just not built as good? Seems like the U33s and U36s
> were
> retired before their time. And if the U34chs were not used as passenger
> units
> by  NJDOT and later NJT, would they not have made it until 1994?
>
> KS

  Henry J.
  SE, Pa.
  #2113 / #44