RE: (erielack) Water bottles...

Ah, yes,...not too much different from their namesake - Ol Dan'l Drew - who milked the ole ERIE RR with his accomplices Jim Fisk & Jay Gould until they screwed Uncle Dan'l and cast him out. Hey, 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'.

Walt Smith> From: paultup_@_comcast.net> To: erielack@lists.elhts.org> Subject: RE: (erielack) Water bottles...> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:33:26 -0400> > NOTE: This message had contained at least one image attachment.> To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the> following URL into your web browser:> > > http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-09-16-07> > Drew_flyer_p2.jpg (image/jpeg, 1976x1460 1132391 bytes, BF: 2.55 ppb)> btn-drew.jpg (image/jpeg, 1024x768 102803 bytes, BF: 7.65 ppb)> drew.jpg (image/jpeg, 1024x1381 510889 bytes, BF: 2.77 ppb)> Drew_Chemical_aerial_view.jpg (image/jpeg, 1000x795 231909 bytes, BF: 3.43 ppb)> Drew_switcher_a_Boonton_NJ-8-9-64_-_Steve_Hepler_coll.jpg (image/jpeg, 1584x899 242095 bytes, BF: 5.88 ppb)> > > For the two complete Top 100 Traffic Accounts lists I have, > > Pacific Vegetable Oil is only on the 1974 list, at #99 with > > 2,126 units.> > I find the 2126 number very hard to believe. That works out to ~8 tank cars> per day, odd considering two separate drills worked this plant on a daily> basis? Hmm....> > Maybe I was looking at a New York Division "top 10 list?" :)> > By the way, for some clarity, attached are some handy photos.> > "drew.jpg" is my annotated view of an aerial of the plant from the late> 1960s. I overlaid a thin blue line showing where the tracks went, as well as> labeling some of the discussed items (water bottle loading, etc.) Note> there are a LOT of truck trailers in front of the warehouse with nary a> boxcar to be found :(. If you look carefully at the upper left in front of> the production building, you can see a covered hopper amidst the line of> tank cars. Also note the EL boxcar in front of Boonton Feed at lower left.> Today Boonton Feed is a popular auction house where lots of railroadiana has> been sold over the years.> > "Drew Chemical aerial view.jpg" shows a slightly lower aerial taken in the> mid-1950s by the DL&W. You'll note there are LOTS of boxcars in this view> and the property generally looks neater.> > !
 "Drew Fl
yer p2" is the scan of a Drew Chemical flyer in my collection that> shows yet another overhead view of the plant, slightly retouched (they added> the "sign" on the office building) Again, a lot of boxcars, and the> delineation between the oil and water bottle tracks at the lower left is> pretty obvious. Note also the list of stuff they made!> > "btn-drew.jpg" is a photo of a painting in the new Drew offices in Boonton> that I shot a few years ago thanks to a lister who works in said office. :)> This is the image I remember best as a kid, that's Myrtle Avenue in the> foreground. The artist took a few liberties - he neglected to draw the DL&W> main in the foreground! The cars in the foreground are the water bottle cars> (note the odd yellow "W" on one), the background are the oil cars)> > Finally, "Drew Switcher..." is a shot of Drew's own inter-plant switcher, a> Whitcomb diesel, just outside the plant gate. I assume they used this to> switch the boxcars into the warehouse. After the boxcar traffic dropped off,> they sold the unit to the Morris County Central tourist operation, and today> it's owned by the NYS&W Technical & Historical Society.> > > Oh, and as an interesting postscript: There's a public baseball field in a> small park called Pepe Field, and it's located on top of the hill behind the> Drew complex. About 15 years ago, they began noticing an odd,> rotten-egg-and-oil smell on hot summer days during Little League games. They> finally discovered that Drew dumped thousands of gallons of "production> by-products" into a hole on the property (which was theirs at the time),> then covered it up, and later donated it to the town for use as a park. It> became a superfund site and millions were spent to remediate this. That was> Drew's "going away" present to Boonton (though Drew built new offices for> themselves in Boonton that are still there today, albeit Drew was purchased> by Ashland Chemical a decade ago)> > - Paul> > > The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List> Sponsored by the ELH&TS> http://www.elhts.o!
 rg> To U
nsubscribe: http://lists.elhts.org/erielackunsub.html