Re: (erielack) Water Bottles & Tree Huggers

In a message dated 9/18/2007 9:42:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
graytrainpix_@_hotmail.com writes:

Drew /  PVO wasn't the only waste-water operation on the EL.  There was once
an Avon perfume plant on the Piermont Branch about two miles east of SF
Tower (Suffern, NY).  The EL got a tank or two of waste water now and  then
from it.  One of the Ford Drills would go up the branch and  retrieve the
car, and place it in Hillburn Yard for pickup by an eastbound  road freight.
One summer evening in 1967 I was hanging out at  Rutherford station (NJ) and
an eastbound freight came by with a tank car  near the head end spilling some
liquid out of an open spigot in its  belly.  The stuff was splashing all over
the roadbed, and I thought  it was all some terrible mistake; perhaps the
town would have to be  evacuated because it was toxic waste or was causing
poisonous fumes.   But no, no one at all was upset about it.  It hardly had
an odor to  it.  About a year later, an EL towerman told me that he saw the
same  thing a couple of times; it was wastewater out of the Avon plant, and
the  spigot was opened intentionally.  In another year or two, the state and
federal environmental agencies got up to speed, and wastewater dumping in
transit because history.

Jim Gerofsky

This is why any one with any scruples at all would never use the  word "TREE
HUGGER"  in a negative context. On behalf of our children  and grand children
like thank goodness we have them.

Bob Bahrs