(erielack) Youngstown Perishables

Steve, Steve and List,

A while back we discussed perishables to Cleveland and how NKP dominated
this market. It appears that Erie may have had the lion's share of
Youngstown perishables, although B&O probably had a portion also. The reason
I bring this up is that "Brier Hill Perishables" appears in nearly all EL
freight schedule/classifications, including Oct 1973, where it is the only
mention of perishables. I find it surprising that it's mentioned at all at
that late date. EL's major perishable markets were New York, which was
drastically curtailed with the opening of Hunt's Point in 1968, and Boston
via NYNH&H, which dried up soon after when PC took over. Youngstown traffic
supposedly went on MF-74, arriving at 1am. Was there really any significant
carloads by 1973, or was this classification more legacy than reality?

Paul B