(erielack) Re: Youngstown Perishables

Paul and group---

I don't recall any public team tracks that served auctions, terminals, etc
in Youngstown.

All four major railroads (Erie, B&O, PRR and NYC) had their own freight
houses and team tracks.  The P&LE was a part of the Erie's via  the Terminal
Warehouse, later switching to the NYC's Freight House.

Only the B&O served the team track near downtown on a short industrial  track
from their Hazelton Yard.  The EL Operator at NK Target (on the  Haselton
Branch) had to run down a release and then throw a hand-operated target  to allow
the B&O crew to cross the PRR's E&A Branch.  I worked this  job at NK Target
when I first started in 1965.  NK Target was a first step  for new operators.

Just venturing a guess, but I would think the perishable traffic to
Youngstown was a dozen cars a day on EL fwhen I started (including the cars from  the
NYC transfer), declining somewhat toward the end of EL as A&P closed and
piggyback took it's toll on carload traffic.

SMT