Re:(erielack) Re: NYS&W

The Budd-built round-end COACH or PARLOR /dome/ lounge/ observation is definitely

1:  ex-CB&Q

and

2:  NOT the "Popemobile."

I have ridden in both cars -- there are two -- and they are distinctive; there is no confusing one for the other.

Randy Brown

I'm referring to a stainless steel streamlined round-tail observation car  with a short vista dome on the top, not the full length ex-Auto Train dome  cars.  In fact I think this car is the one referred to as the "popemobile".  So far as I know, and the new releases from Walthers agree with me, those  cars were originally Great Northern (or Santa Fe), not CB&Q.  I was in that  dome-obs car a few years ago when a triangle trip was run - bus to Utica and  train Utica-Chenango Forks-Syracuse.

I don't have a firm source for any of the ownership details, just being in  the Syracuse area and knowing various CNY Chapter members, I'm repeating  what they've said to me.   Most of them did know Mr. Rich personally, so I  have no reason to doubt what they say - but I can see where by the time it  gets to be 3rd or 4th hand someone might question it.

Bill K.