From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) [mailto:paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com]
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 9:39 AM
To: EL Mail List
Subject: (erielack) June calendar photos

Hi folks,

June is here - time to turn the calendar....

The ELHS calendar features a neat B&W shot of a meet between two Erie trains
at the Graham, NY station. A double-headed Berkshire train drifts downgrade
past the station while a heavy 2-8-2 pusher and its wood caboose wait to
drop down to Port Jervis after the dobuleheader clears. A neat image of
typical railroading in the 1940s.  The new ties strewn around on the ground
shows that the Erie was still in good enough shape to be pouring $$$ into
physical plant maintenance.

The Weekend Chief calendar has a wonderful overview of the four-track Erie
main going across the Meadowlands, as viewed from the Route 3 overpass, with
a westbound NJ&NY commuter train.. The two right mains are already rusty,
and shortly those two tracks will be removed in a cost-saving reduction
move. The track still appears to be in good maintenance, and the right of
way is fairly clean. The caption isn't completely true when it states that
the RS2 "...rushes commuters gome across a simplified meadowlands before
residential construction took place."  The area where this photo was taken
is largely the same today (though the Route 3 bridge was rebuilt and
lowered, so you can't get as high a vantage point as this today). The
aforementioned "residential construction" (in the form of the Harmon Cove
apartment towers) took place just beyond HX Draw (seein in the far
distance).