Re: (erielack) Re: Rapido

The intersection of prototype accuracy, economic reality and personal bias
is bound to produce friction from time to time, and I'm happy to see this
discussion being conducted in a civil manner, in keeping with the standards
of this group. There are a couple other aspects to this topic that are worth
examining. With my focus on intermodal, I have pointed out inaccuracies here
in a couple of recent releases for the benefit of the few who might care.
Did I buy these products? You bet, and I'm very happy these models were
produced. The shortcomings are easy to correct in these particular cases,
and in a tiny fraction of the time it would take to scratch these cars.
Another thing, it's not necessarily all the manufacturer's doing. Some
modelers may like to see a favorite roadname on a nicely done model, knowing
full well the prototype never existed.

There are degrees of inaccuracy. Placing a roadname on a car similar to the
prototype is one thing, doing up a U50C (a twin-engine loco unique to UP) in
Amtrak is another. Let's not forget that this is modeling, and the entire
hobby is fantasy!  Also, it takes courage for a manufacturer, especially a
small one, to incur production costs for a new model in this economy.

Welcome to the group, Jason.

Paul B