(erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #3131

It is always interesting to read the various emails discussing the
"correctness" of some piece of model equipment, like the most recent one, the
Rapido cars.
When I changed my railroad from the LV/CNJ to the DL&W, I needed some  new
equipment. I only had one 300-series coach---a correct one from about 45
years ago---so I needed a couple right away--the railroad operates once a
month.  The Rapidos fit the bill. (Eric Dervinis "leased" me one). They look
good. Truth  be told, most of the operators don't know the difference between a
slightly more  correct car and a less correct one..I need a couple of
Boonton cars for the  Washington and Branchville trains. Have two-- a brass and
an F&C--don't drop  the latter-it will turn into more shards than Humpty when
he fell off the  wall--where to get a couple more? Make a couple like JJL
did from AHM  cars?.

What would you do if these Rapido cars were not available?

My guess is that most of you would do nothing, except wait in the hopes
that some importer/manufacturer would make that correct version. Then complain
 because it is ----too expensive; is a kit, and too hard to build,  still
not correct, don't have the time, because I'm too busy thinking about the
layout  I'm going to build when I (a) retire, (b) kids are grown, (c) fill in
blank with  any excuse.etc,etc!!

Actually, after many discussions with others in the hobby over the  years,
my guess is that about 90% of all this equipment that is purchased never
gets built or used. I'll bet most of the folks on this list fall into this
category! It sits there in the box under the under-construction layout, or in
the closet. I've been to many layouts--under construction, partly
operational,  etc and seen the dozens of unbuilt kits underneath---especially the
resin ones.  I have a few, but mostly I build them and replenish the queue.
Then I have the  opposite problem--too many cars ready to go on the RR, but if
I don't take one  off, soon, gridlock.
I don't have a problem with folks buying stuff, for the distant day when
something will actually run--there plenty of room in the great hobby for all
and  all aspects..

cntnew00000007)