Re: (erielack) Re: Rapido

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments.

> It's nice to know that manufacturers are lurking about.  I find your comments
> interesting about what it takes to make a new model and how many model
> railroaders are actually out there.  Half a million you say?  That's
> interesting because some would have you believe that if we don't all get out
> there this weekend and "evangelize" and recruit another ten new model
> railroaders, our hobby will die within a decade.

This might be veering off topic a bit, but you raise an interesting point.

While I see the hobby as being strong (even growing) for the next 10 years
as the boomers get into model railroading, I really do question how strong
the hobby will be when my generation reaches our mid-50s in 20 years.

Our hobby survives on the backs of guys who are 55-60 years old.  The
majority of model railroaders in any generation is 55-60 years old (slightly
older in Canada).  This is an actual figure confirmed by the NMRA, not just
one taken out of a hat.

When my generation reaches that age, they will be totally unfamiliar with
the concept of home entertainment that does not involve staring at a screen.
Hobbies will still exist, but the hobby industry will be fraction of the
size that it is now and because of that we as modellers and manufacturers
will be in trouble.

God willing, I will be able to retire by then and just enjoy playing with my
trains.

In 20 years, I see there being half the number of manufacturers that there
are today and not enough of a critical mass of modellers to bring out all of
the prototype-specific models that we are seeing today.  I also see models
costing much more as petroleum-based production of any kind becomes more and
more taboo.

Today is doubtless the golden age of model railroading.  Who would have
thought just 10 years ago that there would ever be a TurboTrain or an
AeroTrain available in RTR plastic?  Now we have both.

- -Jason

- --
Jason Shron
President / Président
Rapido Trains Inc.

True North Locomotives FP9A Locomotive: Beauty.
La locomotive FP9A par Rapido: Sans Pareil.
http://www.rapidotrains.com