Re:Graham Line; was:RE: (erielack) EL June Calendar

Ed Crist's book, ERIE MEMORIES, gives a division by division, chapter by chapter view of the Erie. Each divisional chapter includes the profile for that division.

Thr profle for the New York Division shows a steady grade of 1.47% from Port Jervis to Otisville, with the Graham line significantly easier from Graham to the tunnel under Otisville.  East of Otisville is where the Graham line made the difference, with its westbound grade of .6% against the old main at .99%, 1.05% and 1.12%.  From MQ to Newburgh Jct, the Graham rises at .2%; from Greycourt to just west of the junction, the old main was 1.23%.  And much, much curvier.

The westbound grade of .89% from Suffern to the junction ceases on the Graham (it is downhill to MQ) but stiffened to .97% on the old main.

The old Newburgh Short Line ROW is still visible from the NYThruway, if you know where to look.  Late fall, with a light snow, is the best time -- as long as you are the passenger. Let the driver keep eyes on the road.

Randy Brown

Schuyler, that's my understanding as well. The grade actually began at Port  Jervis, where the line left the Delaware valley, hence the continued need  for helpers. I believe the grade steepened at the location that became  Graham, which made it a logical place for the west end of the freight  cutoff. I'll add that the east end of the Graham line  was originally part  of the Newburgh Short Cut, built to connect the main line at Newburgh Jct to  the Greycourt-Newburgh line at Vail's Gate Jct. The new alignment for the  Graham line began approx 4 miles west of Newburgh Jct at Highland Mills.

Paul B