Re:RE: (erielack) New tunnel

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Janet & Randy Brown wrote:

> There are, indeed, long escalators on the NYC subway system.  This long?  I don't know.  However, they are installed to serve individual stations to carry hundreds (maybe) of people.  Here, they will need to move thousands.  I picture the wide bank of escalators at the old WTC terminal of PATH which came up - what?  Three stories?  I can't picture them doing 18 stories.
>
> But -- that's just me and my lack of imagination.
>
> More power to them.  They'll need it.
>
> Randy Brown

When I was om Stockholm, Sweden back in the '70s, they had some incredibly
long escalators for their subway and IIRC there was one station where it took
two of them to get the surface. It seemed to be very deep.

I suppose the only relevance this post has to the EL is that EL was still
running back then!

I can't remember if there were any that deep on the London Underground, but I
recall being on some long escalators when I was there in 1991.

According to a NY Times article, the deepest in NYC is the 191st St stsion on
the No. 1 line at St. Nicholas Avenue in Washington Heights is 180 feet below
street level.

Doing a quick google, The Pyongyang Metro in North Korea has one 393 feet
deep.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services