(erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #3135

Re: The new tunnel.

There are apparently a host of problems associated with the new NJT
Terminal/Tunnel, some of which are the cause of the thing being located so  deep.
As far as the escalators are concerned, they will probably use a  (fairly)
high speed version.

When my Dau and S-in-Law lived in Budapest ten or so years ago, I visited a
 number of times. We usually used the excellent mass transport system,
including  the subway. The station at Moskva Ter, nearest chez eux, was Deep.
Partly  because of the hills, partly because the Sovs planned the alternate
use as a  bomb shelter.

Anyway this station had a long --couple hundred feet at least---and Fast
escalator.It was also wide, basically three people wide, so there was room to
 pass--surprising number of  people walked on up. I usually did also as it
was good exercise!
Because it was so fast it had a long, maybe 30-40 feet flat moving entrance
 at the bottom and same at the top. You had to be prepared to get off, or
you'd  be off in a heap, and run over by those coming behind. I never saw
anyone take  the big hit or get launched during my visits, but I'd have to say
that I didn't  see any real wide-bodies or double-wides, like you do here,
that almost stop at  the top.

Jim

fingertips.