Re: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna Cutoff now available

From: "Gregory Botvinik" <botvinesq_@_optonline.net>

>I understand the need for service to the Poconos because it's within
> commuting distance of NYC.  But what is the purpose of spending tons of
> money for train service to Scranton?  It's too far to commute and if
> someone

Nonsense. People commute every day from Scranton and Wilkes Barre to NYC. If
you don't think so, I strongly urge you to take a ride on commission-hour
Martz buses to both points, and find out for yourself. See how many are on
monthly passes. I think you'll find it's nearly everyone (except perhaps,
yourself <g>.

As for fares, the round trip to Scranton is $76.25. But if you're traveling
with two persons, it's $97.

Get a party of six together in NYC to visit Steamtown and ride the trolley,
it's $28 each -- round trip -- same as NJT's round trip for Port Jervis.

There's alsi a one day round trip from Scranton/Wilkes Barre to NYC (good
only on certain buses) it's $65 round trip for two people -- that's $32.50
each, round trip.

I've written about this operation extensively in a previous post so I won;t
get into the further particulars of the commute. But I'll add that the 6:15
PM bus to Wilkes Barre on May 28 was full, and had every seat taken to DWG
with about half off there and at Stroudsburg; of the remainder, several were
off at Blakeslee, and the rest to Wilkes Barre; returning after the Rocky
Glen program at the Lackawanna Historical Society at 6:30 PM (we were there
for an Anthracite Symposium), the bus was mostly full leaving Stroudsburg,
with a second coach added to handle the rest of the crowds returning to NYC.
BTW -- our bus from WB-Scranton on Thursday night and Scranton to WB on
Friday morning both had half a dozen local passengers in addition to those
to/from NYC.

Frankly, I'd (a) rather take the train and (b) would rather take the train
with a bar car (PM breakfast car (AM) <g>.

Thoughts that train service won't generate new traffic are misguided, or
unfamiliar with the territory as it now exists -- and certainly unfamiliar
with the vagaries of traffic on I-80 between, say, Bartonsville and
Blairstown and Netcong-Parsippany <g>.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296