(erielack) Pocono Line (formerly Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna Cutoff)

A common thread appears here. We see words such as "economic sense",
"profit", rail welfare", etc. We the taxpayers already pay for the freeways, the
airports, the bus terminals. Where is the economic sense and profit there?
Sure sounds like welfare transport to me.

It's proven that rail is the most effective from of transportation, be it
passenger or freight. Rail keeps things green, cost effective in terms of
fuel use and is the one form of transportation where delays are few. While
delays happen, they are few and far between when compared to roads and airports.
Rail also has the opportunity to expand the roadbeds without destroying the
land. It doesn't take much room to double track a line. But it takes much
more room to add freeway lanes.

What is lacking in this scenario is competition and the freedom to choose.
When there is only one way to go, the fare rates are set and there is no
choice. "It's MY way or MY highway", aka Martz. It's just a matter of time
before we commuters and weekenders will have a choice.

We also see us thinking in past or present terms, rather than looking to
future demands. We must rid ourselves of the 50s-60s mentality that told us
that rails are no longer of use, no longer in our interest.

We must get rid of the old mentality that says everything has to make a
buck. We have a responsibility to provide efficient and affordable
transportation for us.

The Pocono Line, as I'll call it, is an unused asset. It has everything to
offer and won't replace what exists. It will add another way of travel for
commuters and weekenders that is needed and will be used.

It's time to let go of the old school thinking and look to the future. In
the past, they said, "Build it and they will come". On that, I trust those
who came before us even if times have changed. It's just reality.

Reinstatement of service offers something more. It's not just about
NYC-Scranton, It's also about putting Amtrak on the Pocono Line, connecting
Scranton, Binghamton and north as DL&W did.

NJT will operate commuter service and if they're smart will offer ski train
service. Amtrak can offer intercity service. The line will become alive and
offer the potential for business investment that translates into jobs. It's
a good move that makes "economic sense", brings about "profit" for
investors and provides service for people and business.

Rick

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585064x1201462784/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm
/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JunestepsfooterNO62)