Re:Re: (erielack) DL&W Track markers, Hoboken 1952

I believe that the lights were an ERIE innovation at Jersey City, and were quite helpful at the H&M concourse under the far end of the platforms, where there was no room for milling about looking at train boards, and no way to correct your error if you came up onto the wrong platform.

Distinguishing between Stillwells and "Wyatt Earps" was of little use at Hoboken unless you knew where the train was going; at Jersey City, it was of no use whatever.

I don't recall the lights at Hoboken, but my Hoboken experiences were only with through trains (to Scranton) in 1944, and getting to and from the NYSME railroad upstairs when it was there.  The only time I took a Northern train from Hoboken was on the last day.

Randy Brown
> Ive seen some photos where All the Lights were Lit for some Intercit
> trains not that was always the case

And all lights might be lit for specials like RRE or BERA fantrips.

I don;t think the Erie had them in the H&M concourse -- I could be wrong,  but simply don;t remember them there. I've always thought they were new when  the Erie moved to Hoboken as a means of helping Erie passengers tell which  track was theirs.

I realize that most of *us** could tell the differene between a Stillwell  and a Wyatt Earp, but . . . . <g>.

Cheers,
Jim