(erielack) New EL DVD: Our Memories of the Erie Lackawanna: Volume 2

RonRail productions has just released a new DVD with a lot of neat
material.  I just finished watching it and here are some highlights:

From the 8 mm movies of Bob Pennisi, we start with a cab-ride on #8, the New
Yorker.  You also get a cab ride on a B&P coal train from Bangor to Nazareth
and back.  It some of the "wildest" video I have ever seen, Bob drives along
the access road on the Cutoff pacing an RS3 powered freight train.  There is
footage of the Henry Cabot Lodge Special (Nixon's running mate in the 1960
election).  A lot of different trains shown at Denville, Dover and into the
Poconos.  I was amazed at how many times the Erie heavyweight diners were
used on the Phoebe Snow.  Also some shots of Nickel Plate Road sleepers and
coaches passing by Dover and a Union Pacifc sleeper as well.  LOt of
different shots of the Phoebe Snow, New Yorker, Lake Cities, #21, Pocono
Express, Twilight and Sussex Branch trains as well as freight trains and
Lackawanna MUs.  There are a number of fantrips as well such as Alco PAs on
the L&HR and then on the Old Road and up to Stroudsburg through the Gap..
The last passenger train to Andover Jct. is shown and you get to see a
Lehigh & Hudson River train make a setout and then 3 RS3's cross the diamond
on their way to Warwick.  A short sequence of the M&E number 14 and a steam
excursion on the L&HR going under the Cutoff at Huntsville.  You see a train
going over Starrucca and then 5 D&H RS3's pass by and are followed going
over Ararat.  A lot of nice coverage of the last run of the Phoebe Snow.
The Bob Pennisi segment ends following the NKP 759 steam trip from Hoboken
to Binghamton (up on the Erie and back on the Lackawanna).

The next section is from the 8 mm movies of Al Holleuffer.  Lots of action
at Mountain Station and Dover, plus original Super 8 sound on the Gladstone
Branch - boy does that sound of the MU's accelerating after a station stop
bring back memories!

Finally from the 8 mm movies of Harry and Philip Elder are scenes from Great
Notch, Little Falls, and South Paterson.  There is a neat sequence of a
Lackawanna fan trip on the Old Road includng a photo runby coming out of the
west portal of the Manunka Chunk tunnel.  A wreck at Pompton Jct. and leased
EL equipment on D&H passenger trains and some freight action arounf Port
Jervis fill out this production.

Most of this was filmed in the early 1960s with some 1950s material as well.

Overall film quality is very good.  Bob Pennisi narrates the entire
production and his knowledge adds a lot in an unobtrusive manner.
This was a great way to spend the one hour and 40 minutes of this
production.

ELDCPS is pleased to carry this DVD and as always the proceeds go towards
our EL dining cars.  You can order online for immediate delivery:
http://www.eldcps.org/store/product.php?productid=213

Tim