Re: (erielack) FW: Amtrak on former DL&W MAIN Elmira, NY

This equipment was a spare set which was not needed for Swedish Railways at the time. The equipment never broke down. It was also ready to be put in service. But Amtrak didn't buy it. So it was returned to Sweden and a plaque was placed in it with a route of the North American tour. Then placed in regular service, where I think it still runs. Lackawanna Lance

- -----Original Message-----

From: Gary R. Kazin <gkazin_@_yahoo.com>

To: EL Mail List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>

Sent: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 4:31 am

Subject: Re: (erielack) FW: Amtrak on former DL&W MAIN Elmira, NY

From Wikipedia:
An X 2000 trainset toured the United States in 1993 on lease to Amtrak. Thetrain was tested by Amtrak October 1992-January 1993. It was used in revenueservice on the Northeast Corridor between New York City and Washington, D.C. forabout 5 months, February - May and August - September. In May - July it wastaken on a National Tour around the 48 continental states for demonstrationstops at significant stations. It also toured parts of Canada.

So the dates are both possible.  ABB had shops in Elmira at that time, didn'tthey?  This would likely be during the time the train was being set up prior toservice on the NEC.

I rode this trainset from New York to New Haven in April 1993, and the ICE trainfrom Newark to New Carrollton in December 1993.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey