Re: (erielack) New EL and Erie prototypes!!!!

To clarify, I was thinking DL&W passenger scheme for the new unit...

Rob

________________________________
From: "paultup_@_comcast.net" <paultup@comcast.net>
To: Rob Piecuch <lmprjp88_@_yahoo.com>; EL Mail List <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: (erielack) New EL and Erie prototypes!!!!

And Mike Del Vecchio wrote:

> This is a great project that will garner tons of good p.r. NS knows it will get letters, but the letters will mean more if they have no negative connotations at all. Suggest that they add another paint scheme
> to the mix and mention no dissapointments.
>
>Or, go one further and request that instead one of the new units, they put the EL paint scheme on one of the remaining former-EL SD45-2s, which other than the number would be authentic. The trade-
>off would be that the SD45-2s may not be in service that many more years. But an EL SD45-2 would leave one of the 18 new units available for the DL&W freight stripes. The EL unit will be ready for
> preservation as a result. Everybody wins.

OK, I'll register my disagreement with this plan. Why?

* Painting an SD45-2 in EL paint is nice, but a) as Mike said, its lifetime is limited, and b) it will live its live in relative anonymity with the rest of NS' SD45-2 fleet, running on Conrail Shared Assets lines around Newark, NJ for the most part. I don't see how this is a "win-win" as Rob stated.
* The EL is being represented by an older (40 years old this year!) unit under this idea, while all the other roads get a nice shiny new EMD or GE? Uh, fairness?
* Who says if a unit was to be painted DL&W it would be in the freight scheme? Using the argument that they could repaint an EL SD45-2 into EL colors, why bother since Tri-State/ARHS already has a pair of beautifully-restored freight F3s? :)

We shall see what falls out of NS come their 30th Anniversary date...

Opinions?

Play nice, fellows. :)

- - Paul