Re: (erielack) Erie Shin Hollow bridge (2)

To follow upon Rick's comments, there are about 12-15 of these types of iron
truss/wood plank bridges in OH, most of which are still owned by the CSX
(either on the ex-B&O main, or on the C&O in southern OH) when they needed
to build lines through an area that already had a road in place that needed
to be maintained (vs. being rerouted or eliminated) back in the late 1800's.

To clarify, most likely the owner of the bridge was the RR, but maintenance
of the roadway deck was probably by the County or Township (at least that's
how it is here in OH).

Built back when the horse and carriage (or later when Model T's became the
standard) were the preferred modes of transportation, these bridges were
designed to easily carry those loads.  100+ years later, a few remain in
service, but are a maintenance nightmare for the RR's (if they do maintain
them) and all are structural deficient, all with posted load limits.   My
office at ODOT is assisting these communiities in working w/CSX to replace
them (CSX is replacing all on the ex-B&O main (including the 5th St. span in
Niles that Rick refers that is scheduled for replacement, but was destroyed
after a derailment there about a year ago) as part of the double-slack
clearnace project (aka the National Gateway program) w/ownership and
maintenance then turned over to jurisdictional County or Township).

The Shin Hollow bridge is very similiar in design to the few that are
remaining here in OH, but like the ones here, has exceeded its' useful
service life, and within a few years most likely will be gone...

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384