(erielack) Erie Shin Hollow bridge

From Archives_@_Railfan.net<mailto:Archives@Railfan.net>

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:14:20 -0800 (PST)

From: Walter Conklin <walterjconkliniv_@_yahoo.com<mailto:walterjconkliniv@yahoo.com>>

Subject: (erielack) Erie Shin Hollow bridge

Hello,

My friend is working on a model of the Shin Hollow bridge. Does anyone recall if the Shin Hollow bridge was of timber construction, steel plate girder etc?  Morever, if anyone has an image of the bridge and would be willing to send it to me, that could be helpful to my friend.

Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Walter Conklin

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walter - in October, 2011 you asked essentially the same question.   Here is the reply I made then.  If I'm not mistaken I subsequently sent you (directly) the referenced drawing.  If you need it again please let me know.  It's a .tif format which does not display on the Erielack list photopage.

Here is a request to all to consider using the awesome list archive functionality found at:

http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/lists/wilma.cgi/erielack-digest.archive

Rich Wisneski

(October 21, 2011).
Walter,

The Shin Hollow bridge (OH bridge 81.52) has a very interesting pedigree.

The two main girders spanning the track (formerly spanning 3 tracks) are from a Turntable - but not from Port Jervis.  The turntable in question was located at Little Falls, NJ on the NY&GL.  The turntable was built in 1886 by the Pencoyd Bridge & Construction Company and was removed in 1917 and brought to Port Jervis for storage. In 1923 it was made part of bridge 81.52.

The approach spans use 4 girders salvaged from Bridge No 16.93 on the Newburgh Branch.

The four columns supporting this bridge are reused from Bridge 192.22 on the Delaware Division.

This information is from a 1922 Erie RR drawing which I can get you an electronic copy of if you want. Unfortunately it is not in a format that can be shared with the list photo page.

Rich Wisneski