Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:38:07 -0400
From: mrushton <"mrushton_@_epix.net">
To: "root_@_bluemoon.net"
Subject: NEPA sightings and news

Tuesday night -
===========
Pittston Junction had two R&N switchers by the yard office.

Taylor Yard was JAM PACKED with cars.  Every track was full.  A train was
leaving
but I could not see it on account of the cars.

Wendnesday night -
===============
R&N Tamper One was at the Pittston Junction, as well as several cuts of
hoppers cars.
Also some other MOW equipment was laying around.

News :

The Reading and Northern will move cars from Taylor and classify cars for
the CP  at their Pittston Yard (Coxton for all you LV fans) and then haul
the classified cars back up to Taylor.  The moves will be during the
daylight hours.

Thursday night Sightings -
- ------------------------------
Passed by the Pittston Junction.  A road set of about 4 R&N locos were
waiting for orders by the yard office. It was about 9:30 PA and it was
dark.  All I could see was the headlights and number boards in the mist, as
it had just rained and was very humid.

Also the MOW equipment and Tamper One that I saw earilier this week was
still there.  The hoppers were shuffled around a little though.

Bridge demolition -
- ------------------------
The other half of the former D&H Plymouth Branch trestle was demolished
today.  The first half was demolished earlier in the summer.  The tracks
have been pulled up on the structure for at least 20 years, and now it was
more of a liablity, and did not serve any purpose.   The bridge was
demolished to make way for the Wyoming Valley Levee Raising project.  The
levee on both sides of the river will be raised, and hiking and biking
trail will be built on top of the levee.  A boat launch and picnic area is
slated to be built downriver from the bridge.  Out with the old, in with
the new !!!!

Avoca Crossing examined -
- -----------------------------------
Local officals looked at the new crossing on MacAlpine Street in Avoca.  It
is designed with traffic lights to keep vehicles off of the tracks to
prevent and accident like the one near Chicago where a school bus got
trapped on the crossing and the rear end was struck by the train.  Other
crossings in the area will be upgraded over the next few years.

Accident at Powder Hole -
- ----------------------------------
A young man was injured in a fall at the Power Hole, deep in the woods near
Mocanaqua and Hobbie, PA.  Powder Hole was the site on a Civil War era
DuPont Powder Mill. The main characteristic of this swimming hole is an
abandoned trestle that the people jump off of into the rocky pools below.
The area is very isolated and rugged, most of the creek being a virtual
canyon.  The Powder Hole is noted for its historical value of the former
mill site.

Mike Rushton  "mrushton_@_epix.net"

Some favorite Fallen Flag roads :
    D&H     LV      CNJ     DL&W    PNER    The Laurel Line

Some favorite fallen Collieries :
    Huber   Harry E (Bucket of Blood)   Sullivan Trail   Prospect

Railroad and Anthracite Homepage :
    http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/6444
    http://NEPA.railfan.net

NERAILANDCOAL mailing list