(rshsdepot) Boise, Idaho Depot rings in 76th

Boise Depot rings in 76th
Train fans hope to see Amtrak service soon
=A0
By Wayne Hoffman
The Idaho Statesman=A0=20

Train lovers and fans of the Boise Depot celebrated the building's 76th=20
anniversary Saturday hoping another year doesn't go by before an Amtrak trai=
n=20
rolls through.=20
=A0
The city marked the depot's anniversary with an open house featuring elevato=
r=20
rides up the depot's bell tower, displays of train cars and model railroads.=
=20
=A0
But as young and old gathered to marvel at train memorabilia and listen to=20
the whistle of a model steam engine, train enthusiasts murmured that they=20
want no delay in Amtrak's return to Southern Idaho.=20
=A0
"We'd like to see the trains come back through," Bill Blitman of Boise said.=
=20
=A0
"And we'd like to take our grandchildren," wife Elaine Blitman chimed in.=20
=A0
Six-year-old Max Blitman said, "I like to see all the things out the window"=
=20
as the train speeds along the tracks.=20
=A0
Amtrak stopped coming to the city in May 1997. U.S. Sen. Mike Crapo has been=
=20
working on efforts to bring Amtrak back through Idaho, but funding has been=20=
a=20
major stumbling block for the Idaho Republican. Amtrak must at least break=20
even if a Boise to Portland line is to be restored.=20
=A0
A task force set up by Crapo and Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, found that the=20
rail service would wind up $5 million short annually, even if freight cars=20
were added to the mix.=20
=A0
Last month, Crapo said he would try to get money to restart the route by=20
amending a bill that would give Amtrak $12 billion in tax credit financing.=20
=A0
Betty Gilmon of Chehalis, Wash., said she would love to be able to visit her=
=20
sister, Dorris Rogers of Boise, on Amtrak.=20
=A0
"I enjoy coming over on it. I'll probably do it again," Gilmon said as she=20
admired the Boise skyline from the depot's tower.=20
=A0
Ralph Johnston of Boise hasn't given up on seeing rail service link Boise to=
=20
Portland, Salt Lake City and Denver again.=20
=A0
He drew depot guests to his petition Saturday, reminisced about train travel=
=20
through the Northwest and collected hundreds of signatures. He has 1,200=20
names on a petition so far, he said.=20
=A0
Johnston said he has "real cautious optimism" the area's train tracks will=20
rumble again beneath the wheels of an Amtrak train.

(see original article with pictures at:=20
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/daily/20010422/LocalNews/106734.shtml)