(rshsdepot) Chagrin Falls Park, Ohio

Depot Plan Meets Dispute

Chagrin Falls Park residents call building "decrepit"
Staff Writers

Chagrin Falls Park residents came out in full force Wednesday to derail
plans that call for moving a century-old railroad depot into their
Bainbridge Township community.

The meeting held at the Park's community center was called to address Mary
Briggs' idea of bringing the depot from Chagrin Falls to the Woodland Avenue
property she recently bought.

Briggs, a former Claridon Township trustee who won back a seat Nov. 6 on the
board by one vote over Trustee Ed Ward, said she intends to cultivate a
community garden and help develop affordable homes in the predominantly
black-populated park community in Bainbridge - a place she spent much of her
childhood. The depot would serve as an equipment storage shed, according to
Briggs.

However, Park officials and members of the Park's Community Development
Council argue Briggs' plans fly in the face of their multi-million-dollar
economic revitalization efforts, which call for claiming tax-delinquent
land, bringing down dilapidated buildings and putting up low to moderately
priced homes on the lots.

Briggs bid on the parcels at a recent Geauga County Auditor's sale, in some
cases bidding against the Park CDC, which was attempting to purchase parcels
for a land bank where it would hold property to later be developed.

More than 100 residents signed a petition opposing the depot idea and call
the building "decrepit."

Briggs, who did not attend Tuesday's meeting, has not publicly said yet when
she would begin her work at the Park or move the depot there.

"I have not had a chance to meet with many residents," she said. "I'm
looking forward to meeting with the community and disclosing my plans (for
the area)."

CDC members said they have tried to approach Briggs to discuss her idea, but
she has skirted them - prompting a group of Park residents to go to a
Claridon Township meeting Monday they knew she would attend.

Briggs said most Park residents do not know of her entire plans for the
area. She wants them to listen to her plan and see how it can benefit the
entire community.

"I see this as an asset to the community," she said.

However, Bruce Constant, executive director of the Chagrin Falls Park
Community Center, said he and other residents will fight to keep the old
building out of the Park, even if it means taking the issue to court.

"Get on your gloves because things are going to get thick," he said. "She
will have to run over me and everyone else to get that in here."

Fliers circulating through the neighborhood claim the old depot contains
black mold, wood rot and lead paint.

"I hope their flier has documentation to back up their claims," Briggs said.
"(The documentation) might help me decide what to do.