(rshsdepot) Holly, MI

=46rom the Tri-County Times...

November 19, 2001
Stabenow announces funding
for area projects

  U. S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) has announced that the FY2002 VA/H=
UD
appropriations Act contains $140,0900 for the renovation of the Howell Op=
era
House an additional $140,000 for the renovation of the historic railroad
depot in Holly.

  "I am so pleased that we were able to help deliver this important fundi=
ng
for these exciting renovation projects in Howell and Holly," Stabenow beg=
an.
"The Opera House in Howell has entertained generations of Michiganians, a=
nd
is simply too important a piece of our state=92s history not to renovate =
it to
its former splendor. The Livingston Arts Council also needs to be
congratulated for their efforts to preserve this landmark for future
generations. Just as importantly, we were able to secure an additional
$1400,000 for the renovation of the historic Holly railroad depot. The de=
pot
in Holly is truly one of the area=92s unique architectural landmarks, and
needs to be preserved," said Stabenow.

  Earlier this year, the Livingston Arts Council purchased the opera hous=
e,
which sat vacant for decade, and began their aggressive efforts to see th=
is
historic structure fully renovated. The Livingston Arts Council was
originally founded in 1989 with the goal of creating a center for the art=
s.

  "If we don=92t take the time today to preserve our precious landmarks o=
f the
past, we will have failed future generations. Again, I am very pleased th=
at
we have been able to secure such significant resources for these extremel=
worthwhile projects," Stabenow said.